  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:14:59 +0000

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 08:52:50PM -0500, Michael Gogins wrote:
> It was avoiding prediction of compsers' needs that I specifically was
> advising. No assumptions that "nobody will every need more than 16 bits of
> precision" and such. This can be done simply.
>
> CORBA is not dead, by the way... nor is there yet enough experience with
> SOAP and other XML formats to determine whether they are really going to
> catch on. MIDI was an instant smash hit - other stuff takes longer to figure
> out.

No, CORBA is not dead, but its not being used as widely or for the puposes
it was intended for.

I wouldn't exactly describe MIDI as "an instant smash hit", but it
underlines my point - it was designed for the hardware at the time,
somewhat limited and underfeatured, but its still usable today.

- Steve