  • From: Bill Gardner <billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:46:00 -0500

I want to echo Mikael's earlier post about the issue of deciding whether we plan to design 1) an interface for the future with lots of features, or 2) a distillation of the existing formats "done right", or 3) are we going to try to do both, that is, a core interface that takes the best features of existing formats plus adds lots of new stuff. I'm suspicious of 3, and tend towards 2, keeping in mind that a good foundation is the best thing to build upon.

I suppose I've jumped ahead of the topic here. All of this assumes the audience is the audio plug-in developer community. I'm asking if the fundamental motivation is to enable new functionality, or to replace the existing formats with something that is easier to develop, more robust, easier to maintain, etc. Almost all of the downstream topics depend on this decision.

Bill