  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:10:10 +0100 (CET)

> 5. What kinds of plugins do people use today, and what will they want to
> use in the future?
>
> Audio-to-Audio:  Effects that replace traditional outboard gear in a
> studio), such as delays, reverbs, chorus, flanger, compressor, eq, pitch
> shifter, etc.
>
> Music-to-Audio:  MIDI synthesizers or other "monolithic" synthesizers.
>
> Music-to-Music:  Quantizers, transposers, style generators.
>
> Audio-to-Music:  Pitch to audio converers, pitch detectors, envelope
> followers.

Why is this section still the same as it was in the last proposal?  I
already raised objections to that, and many people agreed with them, and
no one provided any responses in support of the proposal, so it seemed to
me like folks agreed that it should change.  But it hasn't changed.  Why?

> New designs with any combinations, or numbers, of audio and music
> inputs and outputs.

"New designs"?  There are already tons of plugins out there that to not
fit into the above 4 categories.  We're not talking about leaving things
open for "brave new frontiers" in the coming centuries or anything like
that, we're talking about not using an overly restrictive paradigm that is
already outmoded.  Just look at the recent thread on the VST plugins dev
list (which has been recurring for years) with folks puzzling over inane
issues like:  "Do I say isSynth() if my plugin is basically a 'synth' but
takes audio input?"  "Why does my 'effect' show up in the 'instruments
rack' when it wants MIDI?"  etc.  (I'm not saying that the people
discussing it are inane, but that the topic is inane because of the very
fact that it's even an issue, due to poor vision and design.)  We already
know that this kind of limitation is piss-poor design, so please let's
avoid the "isSynth" et. al. approach at all costs.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this issue is very important to me with
respect to plugin API design, and since I heard only support and no
resistance to my prior suggestions and concerns, I'm really baffled as to
why they've been ignored.

Thanks for listening,
Marc