  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:53:04 -0500

Since discussion seems to have wound down slightly, I sense we may actually
have reached closure on topic 1.  Here is what I propose the final list to
be:

1. What kinds of host applications does GMPI target?

- Digital audio editors (DAWs), including audio editing in a video context
- MIDI/audio sequencers
- Mastering systems

2. What are the target hardware architectures for GMPI host applications?

- Software running on desktop OS
- Software running on a handheld OS
- Embedded in a standalone system
- Embedded within portable "music gear"

(Note: 1/2 are not meant to imply that GMPI isn't usable in other contexts,
such as game consoles or cell phones.  It simply means that the
specification is primarily targeting the listed applications and platforms.)

3. What are the target hardware architectures for GMPI plugins?

- On the same platform as the application
- On dedicated (DSP) hardware with a software interface "proxy" to the host.
- Consider the possibility of communication to other hosts on a network.

4. Who are our target developers?

Anyone who develops software to process or synthesize audio or music.  This
includes commercial developers, academic computer music researchers, and
indepdendent shareware or freeware developers.

5. What kinds of plugins do people use today, and what will they want to use
in the future?

Audio-to-Audio:  Effects that replace traditional outboard gear in a
studio), such as delays, reverbs, chorus, flanger, compressor, eq, pitch
shifter, etc.

Music-to-Audio:  MIDI synthesizers or other "monolithic" synthesizers.

Music-to-Music:  Quantizers, transposers, style generators.

Audio-to-Music:  Pitch to audio converers, pitch detectors, envelope
followers.

New designs with any combinations, or numbers, of audio and music
inputs and outputs.