  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:43:22 +0100

Can I suggest a possible alternative wording for this?:

"New designs with any combinations, or numbers, of audio and music inputs and outputs."

"Perhaps eventually new designs using input and output data types beyond audio and music."

"(Here 'music' means either MIDI or any successor or alternate public standard for representing a real-time or time-stamped musical event stream.)"

For what it's worth, I'd also be not-so-happy if the top-level GMPI architecture wound up being able to support just a small enum of basic plug I/O types (like the audio-in/audio-out, music-in/audio-out, music-in/music-out, etc. list), and happier with a more generalized approach (e.g. a flexible number of inputs & outputs of whatever type). Note, this is -not- the same as saying that the initial GMPI 1.0 spec has to require all hosts to support anything beyond audio & MIDI -- so long as we get the basic object model right, those extensions can come in a later version, if and only if there is consensus that it's needed. And 1.0 implementations can treat it as fluff and optimize it away.

-- Chris

I agree - I don't really see the point of this categorisation. For instance,
what happens if you want to write a pitch shifter that can be controlled
with a MIDI keyboard? Or write a "monolithic" synth with a vocoder input?

I'm also hoping that audio and note information are just indicative of
available data types. Obviously we'll need control and configuration values
too - and maybe phase vocoder transforms etc... (It remains very important
to me that there is flexibility here.)

How about we change the wording on this paragraph to something along the
lines of:

5. What kinds of plugins do people use today, and what will they want to
use in the future?
Plugins that generate, manipulate or consume sound-related data, typically
music data (e.g. note and performance information) and audio.

--Richard