  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:29:39 -0500

>Regarding networking, I'm personally interested in the idea of connecting a
>GUI on my laptop to a plugin running remotely in a stompbox or rack unit,
>and I mean not just a param/value list but a real GUI with meters and
>custom displays as if the filter was running locally. It would be cool if
>GMPI could support this somehow.

again, i don't see this as having anything to do with networking
support in GMPI other than us enforcing/providing the DSP/GUI
separation. once they are separate and a communication protocol of
some sort is imposed between them, the particular transport used for
the protocol is pretty irrelevant (shared memory, sockets, pipes,
ethernet, 1394, whatever).

but yes, this type of setup definitely seems like part of the target "user
configuration".