  • From: <mo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:46:33 +0100

> This is much much too broad a target, which will lead to an over-complicated
> platform, which is not really powerfull (because there, for instance, will
> be things you cannot generalize on DSP-chip platforms).
> <<<
>
> In your opinion, would a suitable target be one where plugins couldn't
> cross-compile across "host based" and "DSP based" systems, but instead there
> was a well defined interface boundary to allow hosts to talk to DSP
> accelerators?

Actually, yes. DSP accelerators more or less only require functionality that
"should" be present anyway. Hmm, maybe over simplifying, but I feel this is the
general picture.

> In other words, define GMPI so all hosts assume a plugin has a GMPI
> interface.  If a vendor like Universal Audio, TC, or Digidesign wants to
> write DSP accelerated plugins, they need to write a GMPI proxy layer.  We
> would define the proxy layer with consideration towards what DSP
> accelerators might want to do.

Yes. However, please bear in mind that there's a lot of systems out there not
using "DSP accelerators", meaning that they mix directly on the DSP (instead of
sending data back and forth like you see it in PowerCore and XTC).
What I'm saying here is that this approach would not target all systems (just
making sure we're on the same level here....).

Rgds,

Michael Olsen
mo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx