  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:17:27 +0100

On Friday 21 February 2003 17.55, Bill Gardner wrote:
> >i don't believe that this example counters my claim that GMPI
> > doesn't have to consider networking. plugins as we have defined
> > them (we have defined them, right? :)) are not standalone pieces
> > of code. they do not execute outside a host context. ergo,
> > networking is not to/from plugins, but to/from hosts. hosts
> > communicating with hosts is not part of what GMPI covers.
>
> That's the crux of the issue. Can a plug communicate with the host,
> or its own GUI, via a network?

I don't think a plugin should ever have to do anything like that. If
the "real" host is somewhere else, a plugin would be running under a
local host, rather than deal with the networking directly.

However, what I'm trying to say here is that if we completely *ignore*
the possibility that plugins running in different hosts might be
connected to each other (network stuff handled by the hosts), we're
asking for trouble.