  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:11:45 +0100

On Friday 21 February 2003 17.40, Paul Davis wrote:
> >One example would be "virtual" voice allocation for synths. A
> > scheme where you need a return value from a "Note On" message
> > before you can send voice control events or a "Note Off" will
> > break down as soon as you have more than one host thread running
> > plugins, and it will be totally useless over "high latency"
> > connections.
> >
> >In short, real time communication must be one-way, and two-way
> >communication must be asynchronous.
>
> i don't believe that this example counters my claim that GMPI
> doesn't have to consider networking. plugins as we have defined
> them (we have defined them, right? :)) are not standalone pieces of
> code. they do not execute outside a host context. ergo, networking
> is not to/from plugins, but to/from hosts. hosts communicating with
> hosts is not part of what GMPI covers.

Indeed, GMPI doesn't have to consider networking *specifically*, and
IMHO, definitely shouldn't address it directly in any way.

My point is that it's quite possible to make GMPI practically useless
(or at least very hard to deal with) whenever there is a need for
interaction between plugins running in different threads, or on
different machines. You *are* supposed to be able to run the
sequencer on one machine and the synths on another, right?

To clarify my example; MIDI works over high latency connections,
provided latency is kept constant one way or another. A protocol that
relies on feedback from the receiver in order to send further events
(ie NoteOn returns note ID for Poly Pressure and NoteOff events) does
not, or at least complicates things a great deal for hosts.

Networking is just the most obvious example of a situation where this
makes a difference.