  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:40:12 -0500

>One example would be "virtual" voice allocation for synths. A scheme
>where you need a return value from a "Note On" message before you can
>send voice control events or a "Note Off" will break down as soon as
>you have more than one host thread running plugins, and it will be
>totally useless over "high latency" connections.
>
>In short, real time communication must be one-way, and two-way
>communication must be asynchronous.

i don't believe that this example counters my claim that GMPI doesn't
have to consider networking. plugins as we have defined them (we have
defined them, right? :)) are not standalone pieces of code. they do
not execute outside a host context. ergo, networking is not to/from
plugins, but to/from hosts. hosts communicating with hosts is not part
of what GMPI covers.

--p

ps. i know that we all know what a "plugin" is but it might be a good
idea to define it at some point. i am not sure if it was on our agenda.