  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:22:43 +0100 (CET)

> 5. What kinds of plugins do people use today, and what will they want to use
> in the future?
>
> Audio-to-Audio:  Effects that replace traditional outboard gear in a
> studio), such as delays, reverbs, chorus, flanger, compressor, eq, pitch
> shifter, etc.
>
> Music-to-Audio:  MIDI synthesizers or other "monolithic" synthesizers.
>
> Music-to-Music:  Quantizers, transposers, style generators.
>
> Audio-to-Music:  Pitch to audio converers, pitch detectors, envelope
> followers
>
> Modular Networks:  Any of the above 4 elements, creating modular
> synthesizers and processors.

I still think that it makes more sense to just do that sort of matrix
approach where you can have either or both elements for input or output.
Most of my effects are Audio+Music-to-Audio.  I'm not sure if that falls
into what you label "Modular Networks", but I certainly haven't ever
thought of them as modular networks, they're just effects that do stuff
with music data, too.  Anyway, I don't see much point in constructing
these rigid categories, and I feel like thinking about these are strictly
separate categories has been a downfall for so many music apps, so I'd
really prefer to just have an i/o plugin that handles one or more of any
stream type on input and output and leave it at that.

Marc