  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:17:03 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Paul Davis wrote:

> SystemLink can't be widely adopted unless Steinberg opens it up
> (though the technology is simple - its the idea that was
> brilliant).

I don't know... there must be hundreds of thousands of Cubase users, and
all they need on the second machine is the $49 V-Stack application.

(and anyway, they weren't the only ones with the idea or even the best
implementation... however, they deserve credit for making it commercially
viable and usable).

> But more to the point, i don't think that network
> communication needs to be part of GMPI. its orthogonal to almost
> everything that GMPI needs to concern itself with.
> that is, i believe that GMPI will be (and rightfully should be)
> neutral about networked plugins.

OK, but networked plugins do have some degree of specialized
requirements.. the way I see it, we should take a yes / no /
no-but-keep-it-open decision now, as it will impact on other parts of the
design.

Regards,
        Angus.