[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:21:56 -0600

Well, I must admit that I nodded off a bit during the latest discussions :)

We don't support any instruments currently. We only support effects. So our issue is always response to user events for effects control and mixing. But most of our users are watching the video output while they are doing this. So 20 ms actually feels quite responsive to them. I doubt that we would want to deliver events inside a buffer. We are likely to timestamp for recording automation, but for RT control simply pass them in the next buffer. This does mean that what you hear while you are moving things is slightly different than what you hear when you playback the recorded automation. But not enough for us to worry about it now. You have to remember that the whole idea of RT anything is still relatively fresh and new to video editors.

Angus F. Hewlett wrote:

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Mike Berry wrote:

        I still see us (Premiere) having larger buffers under some situations
because of video latency. One video frame is 16 to 40 ms, depending of
the video frame rate. For a lot of our work, it has not been useful to
try to run under 20 ms of audio latency.

OK, but if you want to run realtime soft synths or highly-responsive HW
control surfaces (actually 40ms latency is probably just about OK for
responding to a faderbox as long as the acual event rate is higher and
you dezipper properly), you're presumably going to want to run some kind
of lower latency audio subsystem anyways..? Or is the just-in-time event
delivery mechanism proposed by Ron useful in your situation?

Regards,
        Angus.

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems