[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: "B.J. Buchalter" <bj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:29:36 -0400

on 5/20/03 12:24 PM, Angus F. Hewlett at amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> For a real world example, look at the Yamaha DSP Factory.  It's audio
>> drivers have some latency for the buffers you send to the card.  However,
>> the card has an onboard mixer (an O1V on a chip), which can respond to
>> volume changes the instant you send them.
>
> Although in the real world, a 20ms response lag for a realtime
> (user-initiated) volume change is probably not a big deal. For a synth
> it's a different matter. A better example would be a user who's playing an
> HW synth module from a controller keyboard via an arpeggiator sitting in a
> GMPI graph that they wish to run at a "high" audio latency. I'm still not
> sure that this is in-spec, though...
>
> Also, with all this talk of latency response - does it even matter?
> Bearing in mind that GMPI is a design for the future, do major realtime
> host vendors (Ron? Frederick?) see a need for users to be running buffers
> greater than the 3-6ms range in 2-4 years' time, given the developments
> in OSes and system performance?

Again, decreases in buffer size on the host make my issue worse, not better,
and make the workaround worse as well.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter

Metric Halo
M/S 601 - Building 8
Castle Point Campus
Castle Point, NY 12511-0601 USA
tel +1 845 831-8600
fax +1 603 250-2451

If you haven't heard ChannelStrip yet, you don't know what you're missing!

Check out SpectraFoo, ChannelStrip and Mobile I/O at http://www.mhlabs.com/

Download a 12 day demo from <http://www.mhlabs.com/demo/>