[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:38:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 May 2003, B.J. Buchalter wrote:

> > I feel it would be a better solution to have an API for the sampler to
> > tell the host where its syncpoints are, and the host to represent that to
> > the user.. the events are always sent for the start of the sample, but the
> > host is able to represent them to the user as being at the sync point.
> > It's a user perception issue, not an event scheduling one.

> Ok. But that is not a generic API (it is very specialized) and would vary
> from sample to sample. Is this something you would propose to put
> generically into GMPI?

I believe there will be plenty of opportunities to put read-only,
user-experience-enhancement APIs in to GMPI, this is just one example.
It's the kind of thing a host vendor and a sampler vendor who both want to
support it could discuss, and then propose to the GMPI group in an
advanced state. Because it's a read-only interface on the plug, it's
virtually impossible for it to break compatibility with everything else.

Regards,
        Angus.