[gmpi] Re: The Master Plan

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:11:39 -0800

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:03:59AM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> I truly do dislike having to ask these things I occasionally pop in
> to ask, so please nobody assume I'm trying to be a killjoy with this,
> but: Since everything that's been coded up so far is necessarily
> subject to revision in order to better support whatever further
> coding comes next, what precisely is the purpose of 'releasing' it at
> this stage?  Put another way, to whom would it be 'released'?  Would
> developers be well advised, or ill advised, to incorporate this
> release into products and call it GMPI?

Sorry, I meant to publish it.  So far it's on my hard drive.  I'd like
to put it in a place where people (this list, mostly) can look at it and
comment and make changes.  A public CVS with bug tracker and doc manager,
preferably.

Remember, at my core I am an open-source guy, so my inclination is to be
as public as possible about all stages of development.

> Also there are the whole licensing and (c) ownership issues to get
> worked out, are there not, before any public release?

Sorry, I don't mean "Issue a press release, 1.0 is done", just putting
it somewhere that you all can get at it.

As for ownership, it is currently owned by Jeff and I :).  We're trying
to work within the group here, but (as you can see) we're chomping at
the bit to get work done.  Ron asked, a while back, that we not post
this code anywhere, so we haven't.  But I want to.

This code is a prototype of the API, and it solves and raises issues
that the group needs to address.  If I can't share it...

I hope that clarifies.