[gmpi] Re: SDK/API model simplification

  • From: jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:09:19 +1200

Hi Tim,

> If I have 2 versions of the same plugin, for example, some
> bugfixes, do they have the same or different GUIDs?

Well, strictly speaking, two versions of a plugin are not
identical, as they are not the same plugin they each need
their own UID.
  SynthEdit for example will not load two different plugins
with the same UID.  It's an error.
  The point of a UID is to uniquly identify a plug, in order
to co-exist with an older version, Version 2 of a plugin
needs a new UID.  The version number is not part of a UID,
it's a secondary element of the metadata.

If you want the host to automatically use Version 2 inplace
of Version 1, that's a different issue (does the user really
want that, what if they prefer V1?).

  Perhaps it's better for a plugin's metadata to indicate
somehow "this plugin superceeds UID XXX-XXX-XXX".

Best Regards,
Jeff