[gmpi] Re: Revised Topic 7.1: Audio I/O

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:11:06 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Harris" <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 1:08 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Revised Topic 7.1: Audio I/O

> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 12:28:51 +0200, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > Q 7.1.3: Do we support non-trivial encodings?  For example: 'LtRt'
> > c) No.  Encodings are decoded when entering the GMPI graph.  LtRt is
> > turned into 4 mono streams.
>
> This option does not cover all cases because there will be
> (de)multiplexing plugins in the graph.

why a plug-in for demultiplexing ?... this can be done by the host before
sending to the graph.

> >  Q 7.1.4: What are the connections (virtual wires) between plugins?
> > -- don't understand.--
>
> He's talking about port bundling/grouping.

Handled by the host , or by automation port or by a special port... after
it's a question of protocoel , but the HOST has to be the "active HUB or
let's say the mediator" in the discussion . A plug-in has to be seen as an
external independent hardware unit otherwise it becomes really complicated
for the developper.

> > Topic 7.2:  In-place processing
> >
> > Q: Do we do in-place processing?
> > g) the plug-in don't care, but the developper just has to know that
output
> > pointer can be the same than input pointer.
>
> I think we have to allow for plugins that dont want to run inplace. OTOH
> this would make it simpler for the plugin and host.

I see no reason for that. After its up to the host to use different buffer
for in and out or no... these questions depends also on the memory available
on the system.

> > Topic 7.3:  Unconnected inputs/outputs
> >
> > Q: How do we handle disconnected inputs/outputs?
> > f) Other.  number of in and out involve directly the way the effect will
> > work and the memory to allocate , the parameters to set etc... so the
number
> > of IN and OUT will be given at the initialization of the effect . This
is
> > the simplest method for everycases .
>
> Yes, but it doesn't allow connections to change diring hte lifetime of the
> plugin, so I think its not an option.

useless feature and boring for developper , knowing that the user won't make
the differnce if the host handle that well .

Vincent Burel