[gmpi] Re: Revised Topic 7.1: Audio I/O

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:33:04 -0700 (PDT)

> First, can I propose the following re-write?  I think this explains
> a-c a little more clearly:

Fine with me, I'll update my notes.

> d) Like b), but combining the audio signal encodings (LtRt, M-S,
> Ambisonic, etc.) into the format enum, so that stereo and M-S would
> be different, but a determined user could still connect them.  The
> enum now represents the overall logical audio format of the pin's
> input stream.  No net cost.

this encompasses an answer to the "Do we support encodings" question.  I
wrote C so that whatever we decide about encodings, interleave, and
datatypes, C would cover.  Encoding, datatype, and interleave may be
variables, in which case they need to be specified per connection or
per-plug or something.  It's probably a waste to make all these different
options that vary by which of those variables they support.  That was why I
asked the variable questions first.

If we support interleaved and non-interleaved, then we obviously need to
account for that in the connection mechanism.

> e) Like b), but adding the per-sample encoding property (float,
>
> f) Like b), but adding the interleave property to each pin, with
>
> g) Like b), but combining per-sample encoding and interleave into the
>
> h) Like d) + g). Each pin has a name, one audio format enum + one
> physical packing enum.

> the same per-sample format, i.e. a float version of the whole plug &
> a double version of the whole plug...?

I haven't expressed my opinions, yet :)  You're pretty close to my
position, though.