[gmpi] Re: Revised Topic 7.1: Audio I/O

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:42:10 +0100

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 02:11:06 +0200, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 12:28:51 +0200, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > > Q 7.1.3: Do we support non-trivial encodings?  For example: 'LtRt'
> > > c) No.  Encodings are decoded when entering the GMPI graph.  LtRt is
> > > turned into 4 mono streams.
> >
> > This option does not cover all cases because there will be
> > (de)multiplexing plugins in the graph.
>
> why a plug-in for demultiplexing ?... this can be done by the host before
> sending to the graph.

But it can happen inside the graph too. Multiplexing certainly will.
eg. seperate channels -> mutiplex -> reverb -> out

> > I think we have to allow for plugins that dont want to run inplace. OTOH
> > this would make it simpler for the plugin and host.
>
> I see no reason for that. After its up to the host to use different buffer
> for in and out or no... these questions depends also on the memory available
> on the system.

Well, at the very least it would need a big red warning in the docs ;) I'm
sure there are plugin platforms which dont offer inplace processing.

> > > Q: How do we handle disconnected inputs/outputs?
> > > f) Other.  number of in and out involve directly the way the effect will
> > > work and the memory to allocate , the parameters to set etc... so the
> number
> > > of IN and OUT will be given at the initialization of the effect . This
> is
> > > the simplest method for everycases .
> >
> > Yes, but it doesn't allow connections to change diring hte lifetime of the
> > plugin, so I think its not an option.
>
> useless feature and boring for developper , knowing that the user won't make
> the differnce if the host handle that well .

Its not a useless feature, I do it all the time. Surely its not that
unusual?