[gmpi] Re: Requirements sections 3.4 and 3.5

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:13:37 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 6:27 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Requirements sections 3.4 and 3.5

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:08:41PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > > If that is true, why do so many high powered plugins provide a control
> > that
> > > does exactly this?
> >
> > because they cannot do in an other way... some plug-in needs a P5 15Ghz
> > get the best quality so... here the problem is different, this is the
own
> > buzness of the plug-in... like a spectrum analyzer, the quality button
can
> > be a number of band knob instead... these questions are regarding
plug-ins.

> What you're missing (though you like to focus on it) is the end user
> experience.  As an end user, I don't have 15 GHz available.

seems you mysunderstand me here. read me again please. I just explain that
this concern only some plug-in , that's all.

> > task, the todays computer are able to work fine. And in the near futur
> > 5 years) this QUALITY feature won't make sens anymore...
>
> You really think that plugins won;t get hungrier and hungrier?
> Are you telling me that your plugins today don't take advantage of the
fact that
> most computers are faster than they were 2 years ago?  Come on.  It will
> ALWAYS be a problem, for the forseeable future.

there is a limit. For the usual stuff (for example WORD , EXCEL, etc...) a
PIII 1Ghz is enough to do the job (and computer sales decrease in this
domain year after year)... In the Audio , there will be a limit also but
already a dual P4 2Ghz is enough to make a 32 tracks with 8 AUX effect and a
complete strip processing on each track (all at 96 Khz). If in 1% of the
case , a plug-in needs an awesome power, it will implement the knob itself.

Don't ask me to think about a knob that will be used by 0.0001% of the
users, and that will be in the future completely useless.

VB