[gmpi] Re: Requirements sections 3.4 and 3.5

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:36:59 +0100

On Monday 24 November 2003 14.10, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:12:30AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > Speaking of which, I still dont like r15:
> >
> > "GMPI must provide a way for the host to indicate the current
> > 'quality level' (1-10 or 1-100) to plugins. Plugins can use the
> > quality level to scale back resource requirements during realtime
> > use. Hosts should always render at full quality."
> >
> > I vote to remove it.
>
> Why?  Have you never been in a spot where you want to use a plugin,
> but you don't have enough realtime power to run it full-tilt?  Or a
> plugin that has a 'quality' level built in, already?  I have.  Many
> times.  I want to preview them in low or medium quality, while I
> muck in realime, but when I render, I don't care how long it takes.
>  This is a perfect candidate for a well-known control.

This is also pretty much a requirement for multimedia engines for use
in games and other "consumer" multimedia applications. A well-known
quality level control would make it easier to develop and use
scalable plugins and hosts.

Implemented as a well-known control, it can be made optional for both
hosts and plugins, and still usable. It's also trivial to implement
both global and per-plugin quality level control in a host, if
desired.

CPU load throttling is another possible use in some (hard RT)
environments. (With a sufficient number of small buffers, you can
throttle down before an "overload" actually causes a drop-out.)