[gmpi] Re: Requirements sections 3.4 and 3.5

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:27:49 +0000

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 05:10:12 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:12:30AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > Speaking of which, I still dont like r15:
> >
> > "GMPI must provide a way for the host to indicate the current 'quality
> > level' (1-10 or 1-100) to plugins. Plugins can use the quality level to
> > scale back resource requirements during realtime use. Hosts should always
> > render at full quality."
> >
> > I vote to remove it.
>
> Why?  Have you never been in a spot where you want to use a plugin, but you
> don't have enough realtime power to run it full-tilt?  Or a plugin that has
> a 'quality' level built in, already?  I have.  Many times.  I want to
> preview them in low or medium quality, while I muck in realime, but when I
> render, I don't care how long it takes.  This is a perfect candidate for a
> well-known control.

I'm not saying I dont want it flat out - i'm saying that I dont think it
should be in the requirements.

The authors of the specification may decide they want to handle this
outside the specification (whihc I regard well-known ports to be).

I think we still disagree on the semnatics of "well-known" too :)