[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:01:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Paul Davis wrote:

> this is the central problem with the
> abstraction-to-cover-different-API approach: each "native API" has
> some stuff that just doesn't fit into the least-common-denominator
> and so it gets dropped from the abstraction. but it was there for a
> reason, and now its gone ...

Agreed. A very good reason for rolling your own abstraction, or at least
using an opensource one that you understand well.

> its not (just) different binaries: its totally different GUI
> code. imagine writing your GUIs even just twice, once with VSTGUI and
> once with the regular win32 API. how similar would they be? how much
> like writing two GUIs would that be?

Well, personally I write for both win32 and macosx carbon APIs, using a
custom abstraction layer (couldn't get the source for vstgui at the time,
and anyway I hate the way vstgui works).

Regards,
        Angus.