[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Marco Ballini <marcoballini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 15 Nov 2003 17:00:12 +0100

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 05:25, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > About multiple plugions in a single file.
> > Is that really needed? Sorry, I missed why (too many e-mails to read).
> > Could anybody briefly explain or pointing me in the right direction?
>
> Is there a good reason to disallow it?

Simplicity. Both from the point of view of the host and of the user (1
file corrispond to 1 plugin => easier to remember where a plugin is).
I really don't see the advantage of having multiple plugins in a file,
except for the reason of having many plugins doing the same thing, but
where controls are once streams and once single-events (see for example
the plugins in the LADSPA SDK).

> > I would add also trigger control to the standard controls: a generic
> > trigger. For example it may have values -1 for stop, 0 for hold, 1 for
> > start.
>
> To trigger what?

Anything. For example the start and stop of a sequence in a sequencer
plugin, the start and stop of a sample in a sampler plugin, etc....
Having a general purpose standardized trigger allows easier and more
flexible interconnection between modules (i.e. plugins).