[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:50:31 -0800

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 10:00:34AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > you cannot write Halion with XML+layered bitmaps. i want to be able to
> > write GMPI plugins like Halion.
>
> agree, a good thing about VST, is that you have two options:
> -use the VST GUI SDK which provides a cross platform GUI framework.
> -ask the host for a native window, and handle all drawing yourself.
>
> The VST GUI SDK is a seperate SDK. That's important. You arn't forced to use
> it.

I agree, and I had actually written something like that in an early draft :)

> How we draw graphics isn't important, What's important is a standard
> interface/protocol between the GUI and the plugin.

How do I describe this for the reqs?

Just to clarify, we're talking about something like (examples):
* host provides a gui engine
* plugin calls gui engine for things like "add a knob at (x,y) with callback
function foo"

Is that right?  Then the host is responsible for actually displaying the UI
and sending GUI events to the plugin callbacks?