[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:45:32 -0700

Paul Davis wrote:

GMPI must define a 'chromed' UI mechanism. Hosts must support this.

What is a 'chromed' UI mechanism?, can we elaborate?

Tim means the kind of GUI most of you are used to, contrasted with the
generic GUI built if a VST plugin has no editor, or for all LADSPA
plugins (as two contrasting examples). it means, most of the time, a
GUI based on pixmaps rather then generic GUI widgets, and typically
requires custom images etc.

Whoa there...... where did this requirement come from?

i think it was just a given. all existing plugin APIs that we've been
citing as examples permit this. do you have a bone to pick?

1.) Jeff's valid issue with GUI-less host.
2.) I don't think that it is reasonable to make requirements on how the host supports UI changing of parameters. There is just too much possible variation (leaving room for innovation). I would strike this requirement entirely.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems