[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:55:45 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Paul Davis wrote:

> i happen to know that for reasons associated with looking into the
> future and seeing FX "render farms" (amongst other things), there are
> at least a couple of significant plugin manufacturers who are moving
> toward a much more decoupled architecture for their plugins+pluginGUIs.

Apple's AU does this to some extent.

> the reason for the tight coupling between the DSP and GUI side of
> things is, lets be honest, that it was easy and perhaps in part
> because windows doesn't really allow for any other way. TDM doesn't
> work this way, and people deal with it because (i'm guessing here) the
> SDK makes it pretty painless.

No... people deal with it because there's no other way, and because it's
pretty painless for the type of plugins most people are implementing on
TDM. These are typically very high quality hardware emulations with very
simple GUI and very simple control I/O. There is no Kontakt or HALion
equivalent on TDM, no Absynth, no drum sampler, and this is partly why.
Same is true of Pulsar, Powercore, UAD-1...

> programs like jMax have demonstrated for
> many years that you do not *need* this kind of tight inprocess
> coupling for responsiveness.

Certainly you don't need it at all for a responsive UI. However, when you
are talking about plugins with complex UIs, it does make things more
difficult. Nonetheless it does have advantages. All I can say is, we
should encourage it and make it easier, but not make it mandator.

> >IMO we don't need something like VSTGUI.

> do you see any merit in the goals (ignore the implementation) of
> VSTGUI?

Yes, but it has little to do with a standard for plugin<->host
interfacing. When it comes to promoting our standard above the others, the
availability of such a toolkit is of political/marketing advantage of
course; but it's not something that IMHO we should be thinking about for
defining GMPI 1.0.

Regards,
        Angus.