[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:48:14 -0500

>The Adobe Photoshop plugin API is cross-platform (Mac OS 9, OS X,
>Windows), and at least parts of it are (were?) supported by a significant
>number of third party hosts (Paint Shop Pro being the most obvious
>example).

i think this really just proves the point:

if you define the plugin API and the plugins all use it to draw with,
then its easy. the problem is when the plugins want to circumvent
whatever facilities the plugin API provides with "native" calls. if we
take a lession from the photoshop api (the mozilla plugin api would be
another example, and has been cited here before because it includes
more generic run-time stuff), then it would appear that we need a
more, rather than less, expansive API to allow plugins to be
cross-platform.

--p