[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:37:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Paul Davis wrote:

> the first one is the hardware architecture, and i think we are all
> clear that the DSP side of many plugins is likely to contain
> h/w-specific stuff, either because the developer(s) put it there by
> hand, or because the compiler did at the developer(s)'
> request. that's fine: there's no reason to expect that DSP code
> compiled for an Athlon64 will work on a PowerPC.

Right.

> the second one is the operating system/runtime environment, and i can
> think of no reason whatsoever that the DSP side of any plugin should
> ever require anything that has any relationship to this
> "platform".
> the only place where a relationship between the DSP side and OS
> "platform" must exist is when compiler/linker tools create the shared
> object file, whose format and contents (other than the plugin's own
> code) will necessarily be dependent on the runtime environment. that's
> OK, because as we've shown as part of running many VST plugins on
> Linux (*), that kind of packaging is pretty trivial to work around.

Sorry, I beg to differ. Many plugins these days have I/O and other
requirements approaching and in some cases surpassing the capabilities
and complexities of their host apps. I feel that it's more realistic to
accept and accomodate platform differences rather than trying to implement
some entire "GMPI-POSIX" API that the host or some GMPI library must
implement.

Also, the more this is talked about, the more I am worried about attempts
to divorce the DSP side of the plugin from all the other things with which
a plugin is concerned... you will end up with something like ReWire which,
whilst good at what it does, is not ideal for developing plug-ins from
scratch.

Regards,
        Angus.