[gmpi] Reqs vs Spec vs in-between (a choice)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:19:10 -0800

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:36:00AM -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> There are lots of way to achieve those goals.  Forunately, we don't need to
> solve that part just yet...

This brings up a good topic.

The doc I have is long and twisty.  It suddenly dawned on me that it is half
spec and half requirements.

I am faced with a choice:

Keep the doc as it is.  Some sections read like a spec in requirements
format.  Some sections read like real requirments.  Some sections read like
a book on GMPI.

Or

Convert it into a much simpler Requirements statement, and couple it with
the extra meat as 'spec considerations'.  I don't want to lose the extra
meat.

<make your own choice - mine is below>

I'm leaning towards the second choice.  It means I'll be super busy this
week, but I like it more.  It is very useful to be able to refer to
requirments by an exact number.  Too many requirements in the existing doc
are too spread about, and not clear.  I want it to read more like Ron's
email:

1. Must do foo
2. Must do bar
2.1.  bar widgets must be bazzable

What do people think?  It means that this doc will taste different than some
of what we developed on the list, but I think it will be better for it.