[gmpi] Re: Reqs final draft

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:25:27 -0700

Didier Dambrin wrote:

I'm going to jump in here with a different opinion. The rule should be
that the plugin may never change the cpu/fpu flags. Ever. The host is free to set the state however it pleases.

I don't agree at all - if you do that, then the plugin will have to set its own FPU state (and we know it costs a little CPU) for its own operations, almost all the time, which is kinda what we want to avoid.

I think that apps using openGL agree on at least masking the exceptions, and it's kinda the same case here.

Well, I think that this is an undue burden on hosts. Lets say GMPI chooses to require me to mask exceptions, but I don't like that decision for my host. Then for every GMPI plugin I have to change the CPU flags on the way in and the way out, even though most plugins won't care. If it is the plugin's responsibility, then only the plugin's that care will need to make the change, and only if the host has a disagreement with the plugin and has the thread set differently. Or, even better, the plugin can simply run in the environment set by the host, even if that means that the plugin may not sound its best in a particular host.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems