[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:10:38 -0500

BZZZT.  Having used one such system, it is SO much better for the host to
show wrapped plugins transparently.  When I want to load a VSTi in a GMPI
host, I do not want to find the GMPI-VST adapter, scan the VST directory,
and choose a VST.  I want to just load that instrument.  GMPI is designed to
make all those problems go away.
<<<

Maybe we can unwind this argument to get it back to requirements.

For the benefit of "early adopter" GMPI host apps, the final GMPI standard
must include wrappers that encapsulate all popular existing formats.  That
would mean a sample reference GMPI host app should be able to use the GMPI
API to talk to VSTs, DX's, etc.

For the benefit of "legacy" non-GMPI host apps, the final GMPI standard must
include wrappers that encapsulate GMPI as all popular plugin standards.
That would mean an application like Sound Forge should be able to use all
GMPI plugins via its DirectX plugin menu.

Both kinds of wrappers are required for GMPI to succeed in the near term.
Otherwise we'll have a world where GMPI hosts+plugins occupy their own space
in the industry, separate from VST and DX.  So the final spec also needs to
address the recursive wrapper problem.