[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:36:53 -0500

>ok, we have just to decide that GMPI will be able to install per user AND
>per machine (and i suppose that you will take care about providing
>installation SDK, thanks by advance :-)

if and when we get to a specification, you can rest assured that i
will be writing as much code eagerly as anyone else.

>you mean that it is simpler (especially to manage per-user stuff) without a
>centralized file !?

well, i know that most "discovery" mechanisms on all the *nix systems
operate without a centralized file. the generally accepted mechanism
is to take an environment variable (settable by the user and/or
sysadmin) that specifies a set of directories in which to look.

ardour currently discovers the approx. 100 plugins i have installed
this way. it loads each one them, calls dlsym() to get the address of
a data structure containing plugin info, reads its and unloads it
again.

>> i don't think you've provided a good enough explanation of why loading
>> the DLL is a problem. you've mentioned DRM, but david asked questions
>> about when the decrypting occurs that still need to be answered in
>> order to clarify how much of an issue this really is.
>
>be intelligent Paul, if your DLL is protected by encryption , then it will
>be automatically decripted when loading (and it can take time), otherwise
>how would you be able to read something in !?

no reason it has to work that way at all. i can easily imagine a
DRM-protected DLL that simply has sections that are encrypted. in
fact, it could even contain a code section that does the decrypting
and others that are encrypted. the actual DLL wouldn't be encrypted at
all, and any program could load it and access any sections that are
not encrypted. such as, for example, a data section containing a
description of the plugin.