[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:57:35 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Tim Hockin wrote:

> Several seconds is really worth all the extra headache?  I'm very against a
> central registry.

Yes, several seconds absolutely is - particularly if we want to see GMPI
adopted by consumer apps. Imagine adding 3-4 seconds to the load time of
iTunes or Windows Media Player :-(

> > OK, alternative proposal:-
> > A plugin is a folder. The folder contains a metadata file (plaintext?
> > *ML?) which the host can read. This gives us filesystem based discovery
> > without the overhead of library load and initialization.

> What kind of metadata?  Is it really easier to store meta-data outside the
> plugin than to just ask the plugin?

Available plugin objects the module can instantiate, perhaps their
supported I/O configurations, different binary versions contained in the
package (so a single plugin folder-object could contain Linux, Mac OSX
and Windows binaries? or different binaries optimised for different
CPU subtypes?), information about presets contained within the package?

Regards,
        Angus.