[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:30:39 +0100

On Monday 10 November 2003 10.40, Vincent Burel wrote:
[...]
> > I load my host and it sees a new db entry for this wrapper
> > plugin.  What I want it to see is an entry for each plugin that
> > the wrapper wraps.
> >
> :-))))) this is not the own buzzness of the host sorry !  Again we
> : are in a
> "recursive no-limit thought" (the ones i love :-). Did you think
> about wrapper that wrap an other wrapper that search plug-in on the
> network which finds by internet an other wrapper that manage
> plug-in which handles subway speed in NewYork. How the host will
> know the name of all the guys in the tram !?

If it's made the business of the wrapper plugin instead, it's no
longer a recursive problem, but a recursive solution. :-)

If you query a VST-in-GMPI wrapper, it'll return info on all installed
VST plugins. If there's a DX-in-VST wrapper in there, it's the
DX-in-VST wrapper's job to present all DX plugins to the VST host -
which in this case happens to be our VST-in-GMPI wrapper. So, the
GMPI host will get a list including all GMPI plugins, all wrapped VST
plugins and all double-wrapped DX plugins.

> This is an important question and i really don't know how to manage
> that :-) I just remind you that GMPI, in nearly one year, has not
> been able to provide
> any SDK for plug-in, even a simple gain, and according the actual
> considerations i think that we won't be able to install a plug-in
> before year 2010 (if we arrive to feel agree about the installation
> process :-).

7 years... I dunno. ;-)

One year may seem a bit long for just gathering requirements, but
having been deeply involved in the design discussions behind LADSPA,
JACK and XAP, I'm quite used to these time frames and this kind of
traffic volumes. We weren't that many, and we didn't have as wide a
range of different needs as the GMPI group, but it still took a great
deal of time and large volumes of text to figure some things out.

Producing something seriously useful will definitely take some time,
no matter how we go about it.