[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:46:46 -0500

>> of them writing to anything they don't have permissions for, and there is
>> no chance of them breaking stuff for any other user.  Just because Windows
>> prefers you to make your user an 'Administrator' doesn't mean it's the
>right
>> thing to do.
>
>agree, but what is the relation ship with GMPI ? GMPI is an O/S ?

you wanted GMPI to provide a way for hosts/plugins to write plugin
info to a centralized location. if that location is system wide, then
on any multi-user OS, there are permission issues to be resolved. if
its not system wide, every user has to have their own "registry"
whether they want one or not.

>> The issue was how do you handle clashes between the system registry and
>the
>> user registry?
>
>if you begin with such consideration, there is no limit for that sorry.

vincent - if you don't have experience of working with multi-user
operating systems, please just say so. you might think you can just
finesse issues like this with a wave of the hand; those of us who have
been working with multiuser operating systems for 15-20 years know
that you cannot, and our position is not based on hand waving or
theoretical concerns. the security issues that plague windows are the
proof of what this kind of attitude towards this result in.