[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:58:33 +0000

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:44:55 -0500, gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Slowness of DLL metadata is not necessary and not a con.
>
> You do not have to load a shared library AS a shared library to read
> metadata from the shared library file. You can just open and read the
> shared library like any other file. This means that you do NOT have to load
> dependencies of shared libraries to access metadata if it is just read from
> the file and not accessed by calling a function. The metadata could be
> stored in the file as a resource, as static data delimited by some unique
> string, and probably in some other ways I don't know about.

Thats true, in theory, but it is not partularly easy and will require
non-standard linkers* for plugin developement, which sounds like too much
of a barrier to entry to me. Its also one more platform specific thing as
it would have to be defined for ELF, COFF etc.

* I suppose you could put ASCII armour around the metadata block and place
  it in the data segment of the DLL, assuming it wasn't encypted, but that
  is just too nasty a hack for me.