[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:17:59 +0000

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:09:08AM -0500, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Metadata in DLL, pros:
> > - Same object provides meta-data and functionality
> > - Meta data can be coughed up algorithmically, ie, one DLL can expose
> > multiple plugs
>
> Provided the metadata format is rich enough, one DLL can expose multiple
> plugs even if the metadata is external.

I think the concern is for dynamic metadata, as exposed by wrapper
plugins.

> > External metadata, cons:
> > - Metadata "file" can get out of sync with the DLL
>
> Not if users are encouraged to treat GMPI plugin folders as single
> objects.

Or we use tarballs, zipfiles etc.

The use of tarballs for program data is becomming increasingly common, eg.
that is what OpenOffice uses for its native format - the document is an
XML file + all the images and so on.

I dont know if its good/efficient or not, but pulling a single file from a
tarball is pretty cheap.