[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:51:07 -0500

i want to say "bravo!" but then a moment of doubt crosses my mind. do you
agree with vincent's claims about the perils of having to load a DLL in
order to get at the metadata? or do you think its OK to do that?
<<<

I'm thinking aloud to myself if I think this is OK, too.  Pros and cons (did
I miss anything?):

Metadata in DLL, pros:
- Same object provides meta-data and functionality
- Meta data can be coughed up algorithmically, ie, one DLL can expose
multiple plugs

Metadata in DLL, cons:
memory
- A DLL could crash merely by being loaded

External metadata, pros:
- Standards such as XML can be leveraged
- All "cons" of metadata in DLL go away

External metadata, cons:
- Metadata "file" can get out of sync with the DLL
- Footprint of meta data is potentially larger