[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:56:49 -0700

As a host writer, I wanted to chime in on the idea of a GMPI defined plugin manager which determined which plugins my host would load.

First off, I am very worried about the support aspects of this proposal. I am going to have to install this software, in case I am the only (or first) GMPI host on a user's machine. When it doesn't work, it is going to be my customer support that users call. What do I tell them? Its not my code, so deal with it? Please call Tim Hockin? Please call MMA?

So if it is code that I compile, and therefore can alter, is it under some sort of open source control and licensing? This is a very different beast than a plugin specification that I am implementing, because a user actually be running code that was not my responsibility, but for which I am paying to support.

Given this equation, my response would be to not support this feature. If it were a GMPI requirement that we support a separate app controlling my plugin configuration, then it would be very difficult for us to support GMPI.

From a marketing point of view, this is specifically a competitive advantage issue. If our marketing people tell me that plugin management of this type is a high priority user need, then I am going to be gung-ho to find a way to solve it - in my product. My guess is that this is simply not high enough on the marketing department radar, or else it would be implemented in at least some of the hosts that currently are out there. I believe that someone mentioned that there is a standalone app that does this currently. Well, once a significant number of our customers have to use that other product just to run their systems, then there is a market need. But I think that we need to be very careful in GMPI to only legislate clearly existent market requirements. We have outlined a number of those. I do not believe that this is one of them.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems