  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:25:51 -0800

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:42:20AM +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> > - If the plugin changes tempi while the transport isn't rolling. does
> > that count as (possibly undoable) edit?
>
> If tempo changes are sent as events, then they're basically the same as
> "MIDI events" (well, "musical events"), and as these are undoable, I would
> think tempo changes should probably be so too. At least when we're talking
> about recording events.

I've been having a think about undo and the ilk.  In the VST world, you
don't have plugins sending events to other plugins, so "recording events"
and "undoing actions" are much more explicit.  A plugin explicitly tells the
host when a parameter has changed.

Now we're talking about allowing plugins to send events to other plugins,
and GUI being just another plugin sending events.  So what is actually
recordable and undoable?  Do I want to record/undo events sent from GUI
plugins to their DSP counterparts (assuming GUIs are not built into plugins
and are separate)?  Yes.  Do I want to record/undo events sent from a
randomizer to some knob?  Maybe.  Do I want to record/undo tempo events sent
to a beat-synced delay by the host's tempo controller?  No.

So we somehow have to differentiate between events we want
recordable/undoable and events we don't.  Maybe that is what gestures are
really good for?  Gestured events come from the user.  Non gestured events
are not.

Maybe.  Still formulating