  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:09:43 +1300

>My question is why should the GMPI spec enforce _that_ when plugins
can only see/use one transport controler anyway?

That's a very good point.  There's no compelling reason to enforce only one
transport controller.

Why not allow a plugin to simply have a 'Tempo' parameter, and a 'Current
Bar' parameter etc..I think we called these "well known controls"  i.e. the
host automatically connects these controls up to it's transport controller.
   This allows the plugin to receive as much or as little transport info as
it needs, e.g. some plugins need only tempo, others might want the full
works (tempo, bar pos, time signature, UST...whatever).
  Using the 'standard' parameter interface for transport info also allows
plugins to send tempo info (either to the host or to other plugins).
 This setup also supports transport controllers that are themselves plugins.

99% of plugins/host would stick to one transport controller, but we don't
need to activly prohibit plugins with say 2 'Tempo' inputs, there might be
the odd experimental plugin that has some use for that.
  We don't need to prohibit multiple transport controls in the same graph
either (weird I know, but technically quite easy).

Best Regards,
Jeff