  • From: "Paul Kellett" <paul.kellett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:27:20 +0100

"Paul Davis" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > aplug-in can also register itself as a tempo map provider. Each
> > plug-in gets read-only access to the tempo maps upstream from it.
> > Usually it will read the first one and ignore the rest.
>
> the user may want to explicitly assign the tempo map to the
> plugin. how?

Maybe just by letting the user choose one from a list in the host
like MIDI inputs?  The host doesn't have to show a plug-in all the
available tempo maps.  Though some plug-ins might have a preference
for the global tempo map or the most local one, and maybe some
strange plug-ins will want to read more than one tempo map at once.

Paul.

(I should have used some other term than "tempo map" here and in
my last email - to me "tempo map" describes the whole song, whereas
I'm thinking of a VST-like stream of "musical time info" which is
ephemeral and is only valid for the current audio buffer).