  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:42:20 +0100

On Thursday, February 05, 2004 4:51 PM [GMT+1=CET],
RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx <xxxRonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd like to drill down into the idea that a GMPI plugin can generate
> tempo changes.  Basically, I'm unclear how a host app which contains
> a "project file", would track tempo changes initiated by a plugin.
> - If the host has an undo system, is it expected that the plugin's
> changes are undoable?
> - If the plugin changes tempi while the transport isn't rolling. does
> that count as (possibly undoable) edit?

If tempo changes are sent as events, then they're basically the same as
"MIDI events" (well, "musical events"), and as these are undoable, I would
think tempo changes should probably be so too. At least when we're talking
about recording events.

> - In GMPI 1.0, plugins are permitted read-only access to tempo maps

Sorry to be though on this, but I think there have already been proposed use
cases where this is really needed (I will want this when GMPI is there, and
also have a look at www.circular-logic.com for another example of the need
for this).
And, as David said: it can already be done with VST.
So I really hope we won't loose this, so that when GMPI is there within 2
years or so, we won't have to say: "well we could do that in VST 3 years
ago, but not any longer in GMPI". I think I'd go green...

Of course, I'm not a host writer, but I can understand your concerns as it
might add complexity over many of the existing systems of today.
On the other hand, it must be possible to deal with this kind of
functionality somehow, right (Bidule does)?

Koen