  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:31:05 -0500

>       I am personally OK with not having a GMPI-defined UST. I believe that
>all of the systems we are talking about running on have some form of
>independent clock. So if the plugin needs it, it can do it with a system
>call, or if it is cross platform, it can wrap the system calls per
>platform. Then it can get the system time at a particular GMPI audio
>time when it starts, and use that for any comparisons that it needs.
>While there may be a bit of utility (for plugins) added by having GMPI
>do the wrapping (i.e., making the host do the wrapping), I think it is
>more than offset by the complexity of having another time in addition to
>the 2 that seem to be shaking out of the discussion.

you can't sync with that method. you don't know the relative speed of
the system (UST) clock w.r.t. the sample clock.

for UST to be useful, you have to make pair-wise associations between
it and the other clocks.

UST is not a timebase for use *within* a GMPI graph. its an enabling
feature that allows interaction with things *outside* of GMPI. without
it, that interaction can't be done properly.

--p