  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:23:12 -0800

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:29:14AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> Its still king, but you still need UST to link the two clocks
> together. You need to know that sample S (more precisely, the first
> sample of a given process block) "happened" at U1, and that video
> frame F was drawn at U2, and then you can sync them together.

How does it know what UST time that first sample "happened" at when you the
sample has not happened until everyone is done processing it AND you can't
predict the future of UST timing?

You either assign it a UST time in the past, or you need to be able to
predict UST times (i.e. UST is linear).

> Remember: you need to be able to get some time (U1, U2) from a
> non-process() context (i.e. when doing video sync). Nothing we have in
> GMPI so far is designed to allow an arbitrary component of a
> multithreaded plugin to call the host to get "the current sample
> time", and i don't actually know of any way you could reliably get
> that anyway.

What is the "current" sample time?  the sample number of the start of the
current timeslice?  An offset into the current timeslice based on % of
plugins processed?  The current sample being calculated in the current
plugin being processed?