  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:13:32 -0800

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:51:40AM -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Here's what I'm thinking, and I hope this doesn't sound too restrictive for
> a 1.0 spec:
> - A "tempo map" is a first class object in GMPI
> - In GMPI 1.0, plugins are permitted read-only access to tempo maps
> - The host may have > 1 tempo map
>
> Then:
> - When the transport is stopped, stream time increases but score time is
> frozen.  The tempo is frozen at whatever tempo is in effect at the score
> time.

I don't see why tempo needs to be anything special, and I find this very
limited.

If the tempo changes when the transport is stopped, it should still be
communicated to plugins.

We've already agreed that if your host expects plugins to work when the
transport is topped, it needs to keep the process() loop going, right?
Which means events keep coming, right?  If tempo is just another event, then
there is nothing special about it at all.

To become a (potential) tempo master, have a TEMPO output control.  The host
can allow that TEMPO to be hooked up to things that care about tempo, such
as sequencing plugins (even if they are part of the host), delays, etc.

The same is true for METER, TRANSPORT, etc.  Once we define what the
variables are, they can be shuttled around like normal events.