  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:43:09 -0700

I am personally OK with not having a GMPI-defined UST. I believe that all of the systems we are talking about running on have some form of independent clock. So if the plugin needs it, it can do it with a system call, or if it is cross platform, it can wrap the system calls per platform. Then it can get the system time at a particular GMPI audio time when it starts, and use that for any comparisons that it needs. While there may be a bit of utility (for plugins) added by having GMPI do the wrapping (i.e., making the host do the wrapping), I think it is more than offset by the complexity of having another time in addition to the 2 that seem to be shaking out of the discussion.

Mike

RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

did you read my followup posts about syncing with an external streaming
clock like video?
<<<

Just now... sorry about that.

Mike may correct me, but I think in environments where you are doing hard
sync of audio to video, there is a house clock that is connected via
hardware to the audio sample clock.  If an audio plugin only gets to chase
frames at a frame boundary, it becomes really hard to keep audio smoothly in
sync without catastrophically dropping samples.

So in other words, even in the video sync situation, the free runnning audio
sample clock is still king.