  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:51:40 -0500

I agree about needing both kinds of time.  I'd rather we didn't call them
"music" and "metronome", especially since the latter has a literal meaning
for apps that generate a metronome click.  How about "stream time" and
"score time."?

I'd like to drill down into the idea that a GMPI plugin can generate tempo
changes.  Basically, I'm unclear how a host app which contains a "project
file", would track tempo changes initiated by a plugin.
- If the host has an undo system, is it expected that the plugin's changes
are undoable?
- If the plugin changes tempi while the transport isn't rolling. does that
count as (possibly undoable) edit?

Here's what I'm thinking, and I hope this doesn't sound too restrictive for
a 1.0 spec:
- A "tempo map" is a first class object in GMPI
- In GMPI 1.0, plugins are permitted read-only access to tempo maps
- The host may have > 1 tempo map

Then:
- When the transport is stopped, stream time increases but score time is
frozen.  The tempo is frozen at whatever tempo is in effect at the score
time.

From: Tim Hockin thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:56:14 -0800
To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:31:27PM -0500, Michael Gogins wrote:
> Can we have a timeline for time from beginning of performance,
> continuing even if the pause control is engaged, and another timeline
> for time from beginning of performance, but exactly synchronized to
> position in the
score?
> Call them performance time, and score time. I would think both would
> be available in sample frames and in musical units.

This is pretty much what I wanted with music-time and metronome-time.  Music
time is a positional indicator of ticks (for example) from start of
performance.  Metronome time is a free running counter of ticks.  I assumed
it would continue regardless of transport state.  People are shooting me
down :)

mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ .